Successful marketers are creative. They do things differently. They are not run of the mill.
This is good news and bad news. The good news is, you can put your own personal twist on your marketing. The bad news is, if you follow a success formula from another company, you’re going to blend in. Seth Godin, author of Purple Cow (one of my favorite books), says to be as unique as a purple cow. If you were a purple cow and stood out from all the brown cows, people would stop, take pictures, show them to others, and talk about it. Your business should be a purple cow.
So here’s my top ten reasons your business just might be a regular old brown cow instead of a purple cow:
- Reason #1: Your prospective customers don’t know you exist.
- Reason #2: You look like every other business on the planet.
- Reason #3: People aren’t talking about you because you don’t have their attention.
- Reason #4: People don’t perceive your products to be helpful or fun.
- Reason #5: Another business is doing what you do, but they look like they’re doing it better.
- Reason #6: People are saying “so what?” They hear about what you do, but they don’t hear how your product is relevant to them.
- Reason #7: People who might buy from you don’t know how. Streamline your marketing and sales process.
- Reason #8: People who hear your message say, “huh?” Your marketing message may be convoluted and unclear.
- Reason #9: Your customer base is not turning into a fan base. They buy your product but never think to tell anyone about it.
- Reason #10: People who have heard about you in the past can’t find you.
Originally posted 2011-02-01 10:49:10.
- Why Competition Doesn’t Have to be Ugly Tweet In bygone days of business, business men “sized up” their competitors, looking for ways to squash them and take a bigger share of the market. (Remember Mr. Macy and Mr. Gimble on Miracle on 34th Street?) That is partially … Continue reading →...
- The Ugly Truth about Marketing Tweet The phrase all things to all people never had any truth in it, and business is no exception. Until your message is clear, you do not have a viable business. It’s the ugly truth. Before you think about how … Continue reading →...
- Purple Cow Tweet The first things any good marketing class will tell you is to have a quality product, offer a reasonable price, be in the right place, and strategize your promotion. In Seth Godin’s highly acclaimed book, Purple Cow, he adds … Continue reading →...
- What Is Public Relations? Tweet Public Relations is a major buzzword in modern industry. The only problem is, most of us (and by us, I mean “we”) don’t really know what it is! We look at it as something for celebrities (Paris Hilton’s fame … Continue reading →...
- 5 Free Marketing Ideas Tweet In my opinion, marketing is one of the most important success factors in growing your business. Marketing is everything and everything is marketing. Marketing is the way you talk about your business, the way others talk about your business, and … Continue reading →...